Monday, October 28, 2013

The Big Update Part 3: The Assignment

I made something wonderful. 
Something I've wanted to make for a while but haven't had any reason to.Which is no excuse really, you shouldn't need a reason to create something wonderful.

But I did have a reason, and so I was able to bring an idea to life, which is the most wonderful feeling a crazy creative person can have.

We were given an assignment at College 2 weeks ago. 

The task was to design a film poster/album cover/book cover/record cover of our choice, and we had to hand make the feature element of our design. 

So basically, get away from the computer and make something with your hands... remember your hands? When they're not clicking or typing they can do OTHER STUFF!!! I totally forgot that!

Now some of you may know I have a soft spot for Audrey Hepburn, and most of you probably know I that love flowers very much.

So I decided to create a film poster for My Fair Lady: The story of Eliza Doolittle, a Cockney flower girl who takes speech lessons from professor Henry Higgins, a phoneticist, so that she may pass as a well-born lady. It's pretty funny actually. 

So for the handmade element of my design,  I made a ball gown like skirt out of flowers.


And now I get to show you the lovely piece I made. 

Due to terrible self esteem, I'm rarely pleased with my own creations. 
This time though, I am so thoroughly in love with this creation.

Even though I was terribly sick when I had to make it, it felt so good to be creating something.
The shabby skeleton of the skirt.
Milk crate to hold it up, cheap hula hoops to make the skirt shape.
Then a lot of sculpting wire, guttering mesh & cable ties!



Here's a lovely photo of my sick, sick face.

Threading and tying flowers to wire.  I think that's chocolate or vegemite on my arm.





Nearly Done.

Finishing touches.
I used a mix of flowers, the main flower used was Geraldton Wax in orange, Pink, yellow and white.
The dress.
The silhouette I traced.
This is what it ended up looking like. The type package I made is a bit messy. Might fix that later.
The finished assignment


The lady that made this project not a horrendous failure.
My super amazing supportive Mum, who had a blast with me in the studio.
We both love flowers and just hanging out in general. Perfect combo.




Remember how I said I was grossly sick?


2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing Bekky! Good job! Especially seeing as though you were sick!
    *Jo-Jo*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing visit my website and browser more beautiful flower breeding..

    ReplyDelete

Leave a nice comment